Well it is finally here…the season we most look forward to…Summer.
While we look forward to the activities that go with it like swimming, hiking, wine tours, camping, sun bathing, and biking, to name a few, like all the other seasons homeowners also have to make time for maintenance chores too.
Each home may have unique needs that a homeowner will need to determine, but here is a list of some common maintenance tips:
- Inspect the air conditioner and prepare it for summer use. You may need to contact a qualified professional to do so.
- Check your roof and ensure that the shingles, valleys, flashing, vents, chimney, caulking and skylights are sealed and intact. If you have damage or there is a need for repair or replacement, make the repairs as soon as possible or hire a professional to do so.
- Inspect the interior and exterior of your home, shed, and outbuildings and address any painting issues, or exterior repairs, window and door seals, etc. while the weather/temperature is appropriate for drying times.
- Check the seals around windows and doors.
- Check septic systems (if applicable) and arrange for pumping of the tank if needed. Ensure that Cisterns are also clean, sealed and functioning.
- Check GFCI’s, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, etc. and ensure that they are in proper working order. This should be a monthly test.
- Ensure that the furnace filters are cleaned or replaced and check the water heater for leaks. Clean all other filters in the home.
- Check basements and air out on a dry sunny day. Check for cracks in the foundation and arrange for immediate repair.
- Check exhaust fans and all vents and ensure they are clean and clear.
- Inspect driveway and walkways for cracks and unevenness. This would be the ideal time to rectify the matter.
- Wash windows and doors completely and inspect window and door locks/mechanisms and ensure they are in proper working order.
- Ensure that you clean exterior surfaces appropriately for the type of product—a pressure washer may not be appropriate for all surfaces.
- Clean garage floors thoroughly and allow them to dry completely.
- Inspect gates, fences, decking/porches. Make necessary repairs or replacement to posts, structure, latches, etc. and paint while the weather permits.
- If applicable, prepare the swimming pool or hot tub and outdoor furniture for use.
- While some call it ‘spring’ cleaning… Summer can also be a great time to give your home a deep clean. Cleaning every nook and cranny including the very corners of your basement will help you to maintain a clean and healthy home, but also to determine if your home has any problems that need to be rectified. It is also a great time to clean out closets and declutter your home. Consider donating clothing and household items that you no longer use to a local charity.
- Clean aerators on faucets and check for any plumbing leaks in cabinets.
- Summer is not just our playground, it is an insect’s too, so inspect your home for pests and address any issues that allow pathways for infestations to occur. You may want to consider using a professional pest control company for prevention or treatment of insects/pests.
While this list of tips may be extensive, it should not be considered a complete list. Look around your home and determine what you may need to clean, repair, or replace in order to properly maintain your investment. If you are unsure as to how to complete a task safely and effectively or what to look for, do not hesitate to contact a professional.
Vanderzalm Construction Inc. is wishing you a wonderful, safe summer!