Pursuit of Energy Efficiency
High energy bills plague many home owners. The best way to reduce energy consumption and reduce costs is to reduce consumption habits—be conscientious about your own usage and spread the message to others.
There may also be simple fixes for some homes--such as replacing old incandescent ones with LED bulbs, ensuring that lights are turned off when you’re not in the room, replacing weather stripping, caulking and sealing, or actually unplugging appliances and electronics when not in use. Since many electronics, even when turned off, use energy for ‘standby’ status.
However, if you are an owner of an older home these bills may be an indicator that you may need to consider upgrades to certain facets of your home. High energy bills can be the result of several factors:
- Leaks from failed seals around windows and doors
- Basement cracks
- Lack of insulation or improperly installed insulation in walls, attics, and basements
- Spaces around ducts, pipes, and vents may allow unwanted air exchange
- Older HVAC systems (furnace & air conditioners) and water heaters may not be running inefficiently
- Fireplaces – dampers that aren’t closed properly
- Poor lighting designs
- Older shower heads and toilets may use more water than necessary.
- Older appliances (stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washer and dryers) can have significant energy consumption
For some of these issues those quick fixes will work... but they may be temporary. But if your home is in need of more extensive repairs or you are considering a renovation before investing in new appliances and/or fixtures call Vanderzalm Construction Inc. at 905-684-5823 or 905-562-4463 to obtain a quote. We are experts at bathroom, kitchen, family room and exterior façade renovations. Let us turn your house into your dream home.