Thinking of a Custom Renovation?
It may be winter now, but when considering upgrades or renovations spring really is right around the corner. Whether you are considering a custom renovation to your existing space, building on, or adding an outbuilding, each project takes you one-step closer to having your dream home. So how do you get from an idea to the finished project? Here are a few things to consider in order to help you on your way to having your own dream home.
- Establish Your Real Wish List: First, and foremost it is important to be honest with yourself about what you are looking to accomplish with the project. Consider the specific details you want to incorporate in the finished look--but always remember functionality for the way you live. Form and function go hand in hand! A custom renovation gives you an opportunity to turn your home into an expression of the people that live in it – Not just aesthetically. Whatever the project, make it yours-- After all, you are unique and your home is the place where your memories will be born.
- Deciding your budget: Setting up a budget can be a difficult task, but it is imperative that you determine if your wishes can be met by your means. Always ensure that your budget allocates a section for “contingency costs” just in case you add something in that you did not initially consider. With exciting new products and innovations coming out all of the time, you may want to have a little room to explore those options! If you do not make changes and nothing unforeseeable occurs those reserved funds can be available for a new exciting venture down the road!
- Timing: Be realistic in your expectations for timing. If you would like to have the project finished by a certain date, perhaps in time for a wedding or event, you need to ensure that you realistically consider the time it will take to obtain plans, permits, and possibly special ordered products or materials—not to mention complete the work.
- Communication: Having an open channel of communication with your contractor is vital. Expectations can only be met through good communication throughout your project from the very beginning to the completion of your dream space. Express your ideas clearly and in advance.
- Where will you live?: While some projects can be done with little to no invasion of your general living space (i.e. adding a garage or outbuilding), other projects, perhaps creating an open concept kitchen/living space or renovating your only bathroom may hinder your lifestyle. Be realistic--Will you be able to live in your space while it is being renovated, or do you need to make other arrangements? Renovations create dust and debris and they take time. Make shift kitchens and barbequing in the summer works…for some people – Are you one of them? An only bathroom renovation – Well, ask yourself-- Can you use a portable bathroom until yours is complete? — Maybe, but where will you shower? If you think you can live through it…Great…Can the rest of your family? The answer may be a unanimous ‘YES’ or it may not…be realistic with yourselves—only you know if you can or not. Then plan for your decision – stay or go, there is planning involved.
Regardless of what you’re planning for your custom renovation, whether it’s a new interior layout, conversion of unused basement or attic space, an addition for much needed square footage, a sunroom to bring the outdoors in, a separate en-suite for parents or nannies, a dream kitchen, a spa-like bathroom or even something as simple as a larger garage, we can help.At Vanderzalm Construction Inc. we can turn your wish list into a reality!Servicing all areas throughout the Niagara region, call us at (905)684-5823 or (905)562-4463 for a quote on your next custom home renovation or Niagara home build.